Gluten Free & Lactose Free
Gluten Free Diet
This diet is for patients who have Celiac disease or gluten sensitivity.
- Gluten free food groups include fruits, vegetables, meat and poultry, fish, milk, beans, legumes and nuts.
- Foods containing wheat, rye, and barley should be avoided.
- Soybean or tapioca flours, rice, corn, buckwheat, millet, sorghum and potatoes are safe.
Many items that usually contain gluten have gluten-free alternatives that are widely available in most grocery stores, and make living gluten-free much easier. However, read labels on prepared foods and condiments carefully, paying particular attention to additives such as stabilizers or emulsifiers that may contain gluten.
Lactose Free/Low Lactose Diet
This diet is for patients who have lactose intolerance.
- Choose smaller servings of dairy as tolerated.
- Drink milk with other foods.
- You may eat certain dairy products that do not have high levels of lactose such as hard cheeses and yogurt.
- Choose lactose-reduced or lactose free products as needed.
- Use lactase enzyme tablets or drops.
If you have Celiac disease, gluten sensitivity or lactose intolerance please discuss this with our doctor so she can help you manage your diet.