Mindfulness Meditation for Mental and Physical Well-Being
- Posted on: May 1 2019
Mindfulness is awareness that arises through paying attention, on purpose, in the present moment, non-judgmentally.
Studies have shown that mindfulness meditation helps relieve stress, manage pain and anxiety, reduce inflammation and risk for certain diseases. It is a safe, natural and effective tool that helps to increase immunity and improves overall mental and physical well-being.
How to start a practice:
- Choose a time of day or night that works for you.
- Find a quiet place to meditate.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing.
- You may sit or lie down, but try not to fall asleep.
- Now close your eyes and focus on your breath. Feel the air go in and out.
- Every now and then your mind may begin to wander. Every time your mind wanders bring it back to your breath.
- Start by doing this for 3 minutes.
- Be persistent, don’t give up. There may be obstacles:
- You may be uncomfortable with some thoughts, stop and try again the following day
- You may think you are “not the meditating kind.” That is not true, try again the next day
- You may feel you need to have “no thoughts” while meditating. That is not true, refer to #6.
- If you meditate in a group, you may be embarrassed by your stomach grumbling. To avoid this you may try drinking water before you start.
- Over 3 months, try to meditate for 20 minutes at a stretch and do this daily.
Posted in: Uncategorized